Thursday, June 26, 2014

Idioms. They Don't Translate

Hallo.  As you may or may not know, I have spent the last two and a half weeks in Germany, and tomorrow we're going to Norway for a week.  Yup.  Being bilingual, I like to notice differences in sentence structure or specific words between English and German.  That didn't seem so nerdy in my head.  But anyways, I have realized that idioms.  Do.  Not.  Translate.  Like, if a foreigner came to good ole Murica, they would be genuinely perplexed if you said you had a cup of Joe for breakfast.

Image courtesy of Meme Generator

The same goes for other languages.  So here are five idioms in German that wouldn't make sense in English.

1. Ich stehe auf dem Schlauch.
Literal translation: I'm standing on the hose.
Meaning: I'm out of creative juice and I have no ideas. 
What others would think: Umm... congrats? (I personally think it's really clever.)

2. Ich könnte mich Darein legen.
Literal translation: I could lay in it.
Meaning: Used when food is really good.
What others would think: Please do not lay in your food.  Please.

3. Es ist das Gleiche in grün.
Literal translation: It's the same in green.
Meaning: It's all the same; all the options will have the same outcome.
What others would think: I don't think either way to the market is green...

4. Ich wohne am Arsch der Weld.
Literal translation: I live at the ass of the world.
Meaning: I live really far away; I live in the middle of nowhere.
What others would think: You live where?
(Hehe, I really like this one)

5. Ich drücke dir den Daumen.
Literal translation: I press my thumbs for you.
Meaning: Wishing you good luck.  In Germany, pressing your thumbs is the equivalent of crossing your fingers in America.
What others would think: Um, thank you?

So, before you judge the Germans, think about the English idioms.  I'm in a pickle?  Cup of Joe?  Hit the road?  Idioms are weird in every language, guys.

Just sayin'.

1 comment: